These are the White House approved “meals” FEMA reportedly is handing out in Puerto Rico…Vienna sausages, a Nutrigrain bar & Skittles.
A $6.1-million lottery prize is in limbo after a court injunction prevented an Ontario man from cashing in a Lotto 6/49 ticket that his former live-in girlfriend claims is half hers.
Maurice Thibeault showed up at OLG’s Toronto prize centre recently with one of the two winning tickets in the Sept. 20 jackpot worth $12.2 million.
But before the Chatham resident could collect the money, Denise Robertson, 46, obtained an emergency court injunction and alerted OLG not to hand over the disputed millions.
Sources close to Robertson say she had asked Thibeault days earlier if the ticket — with the numbers 6, 17, 29, 37, 45, and 47 — had won and he responded it hadn’t.
Friends say she thought nothing of it until he moved out of her house five days after the draw.
Over their two years and one month of living together in her house — along with her teenage daughter from a previous marriage — the couple frequently played the lottery, alternating each week who would buy the tickets, said a source close to the long-time federal public servant.
Thibeault’s associates dispute that there was any such arrangement, pointing out he purchased the ticket at a Chatham convenience store using a debit card linked to his personal bank account.
Sources said the surveillance footage of him buying the winning ticket has been erased, but there is a bank receipt of the transaction.
They also said she texted him to ask only if he had bought a ticket, not whether their numbers had come up.
His friends also maintain he had been planning to separate from her for months and only managed to do so when he “got lucky” and won the lottery.
On Sept. 25, Robertson arrived home from work to find Thibeault, a 46-year-old father of three, had cleared out all his belongings from their shared home, according to three people who know the couple.
She then learned from mutual friends he had also quit his job at a local granite and glass supply company. A colleague had emailed the entire office that Thibeault had won, which is how she learned of the windfall.
“She couldn’t believe it,” said a person close to her, who, like others interviewed for this story, spoke on condition of anonymity.
Robertson contacted Windsor lawyer Anita Landry, who immediately phoned OLG headquarters in Toronto and obtained an injunction in a Windsor courtroom on Sept. 28.
“This motion, made without notice, by the plaintiff for an order that the defendant Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation not distribute the proceeds of the winning 6/49 lottery ticket from Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017 in the amount of $6,146,722.60 until the ownership issue can be disposed of ,” the court document reads.
But the legal injunction wasn’t necessary — everything was put on hold as soon as the Crown gaming agency was aware there was a dispute surrounding the ownership of the ticket.
That means Robertson, who declined to comment through her lawyer, could be entitled to more than $3 million of the prize.
Thibeault — who is “laying low” in an undisclosed location until the matter is resolved, according to a friend — also declined to comment.
The other half of the $12.2 million bonanza was won by a ticket holder in Quebec.
OLG’s senior manager of media relations Tony Bitonti said there are very strict procedures surrounding the awarding ofprizes.
“The prize claim process is a process OLG would have followed regardless of whether there was an injunction or not,” said Bitonti.
“Anyone or group presenting a ticket worth $1,000 or more is subject to the prize claim review process to determine ownership of the specific ticket. For prizes of $10,000 or more, this review process includes a mandatory in-person interview of the claimant conducted by an OLG prize claims investigator,” the spokesperson said.
“While OLG has key information about the ticket — where and when it was purchased, was it purchased with other lottery products, etc. — in addition, we ask the claimant certain questions about the ticket and the circumstances surrounding its purchase in order to confirm ownership,” he said.
“If, for any reason, our prize claim review team cannot confidently determine the ownership of the ticket from the answers to the questions from the interview, then the claim is sent to OLG general investigations for further review. This further review can include interviewing other individuals with relevant information surrounding the prize claim.”
A prize is awarded only after OLG — which has revamped its procedures after ascandalsurrounding questionable insider wins a decade ago — completes its investigation.
OLG investigators sometimes examine months-old surveillance video from variety stores and gas stations where tickets are sold to determine buying patterns.
They use computerized “data analysis and retrieval technology” to analyze billions of transactions per second and can identify ticket purchase characteristics to thwart fraudsters.
In practical terms, the memo to prosecutors reverses the Obama policy of looking the other way at serious crimes and, where a criminal was arrested for multiple crimes, charging him with one of the lesser ones in order to lock him up for a shorter sentence, or not lock him up at all. The memo also restores the law to the way Congress wrote it in the first place.
By directing federal prosecutors to “charge and pursue the most serious, readily provable offense” in felony cases, as Attorney General Jeff Sessions did last week, he is fulfilling the government’s primary responsibility: protect American citizens from harm, and provide them with a safe environment.
Sessions’ new policy is aimed at serious habitual offenders – not first offenders, casual marijuana users or shoplifters.
Sessions’ new policy is aimed at serious habitual offenders – not first offenders, casual marijuana users or shoplifters. Only the most serious crimes are brought before the federal courts, illegal drug cases being the most common – there were over 22,000 drug prosecutions in federal court during 2015, one-third of all federal prosecutions. Just under 90 percent of those cases, according to the US Sentencing Commission, involved drug trafficking, usually involving interstate transport of drugs, and more often than not using firearms. Knowing what we do about drug traffickers, those who were caught were career criminals – people who trafficked in drugs dozens, hundreds, even thousands of times for each arrest.
Golf legend Tiger Woods was arrested around 3 a.m. Monday on suspicion of driving under the influence in Jupiter, Florida, Jupiter police spokeswoman Kristin Rightler said.
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) — A former daycare worker accused of pouring bleach into a coworker’s bottle of Mountain Dew has been sentenced to five years in prison followed by five years probation.
Sharon Lavette Sexion has been sentenced for the offense of criminal attempt to commit aggravated assault, after taking a plea deal. Superior Court Judge Daniel J. Craig sentenced Sexion in court on Thursday.
Judge Craig said the entire incident was caught on video.
The video showed Sexion going into the laundry room of the daycare center where she worked. She put some bleach in a plastic cup, went to the refrigerator and removed the bottle of Mountain Dew of her co-worker, Juanita Quattlebaum. She then poured the bleach into the bottle and returned the Mountain Dew bottle to the refrigerator.
The initial report was made on the next day when Quattlebaum stated she poured the drink into her cup and noticed a strong odor of bleach. According to the incident report, surveillance video couldn’t immediately link Sexion to the incident so Quattlebaum did not know who poured the bleach in her drink at the time.
Three days later, a separate report was filed naming Sexion for reckless conduct after investigators reviewed the video some more. Sharon Sexion is seen in the video bending into the refrigerator and pouring an unknown substance from a white cup into the soda bottle.
According to the arrest warrant, Sexion was accused of felony aggravated assault for using a deadly concoction which could result in serious bodily injury.
A South Carolina mother has been accused of beating her young son after the boy made a Mother’s Day card for his grandmother, but not one for her.
Spartanburg Police said Shontrell Murphy, 30, repeatedly hit her 6-year-old son after ripping up the card, Fox Carolina reported.
Murphy was charged with cruelty to children. She was released from jail on a personal recognizance bond.
Police said they found the boy crying when they went to the home Thursday for a report of a disturbance, the station reported. Officers said the grandmother told them her daughter slapped her grandson multiple times around the head.
Investigators said the boy’s sister told them their mother was upset because the Mother’s Day card her brother made wasn’t for her. She said the card was for their grandmother, according to the station.
The police report states that when Murphy realized the card wasn’t for her, she ripped it up and hit the boy repeatedly about the head, according to the station.
He was evaluated at a hospital and released.
The station reported that Murphy admitted to smacking the child but “does not believe it was in a hard or violent manner.”
A jury indicted a former Atlanta officer Friday on accusations he helped a murder suspect he knew avoid arrest, The Fulton County District Attorney’s office said.
Tommy Williams, 26, was one of several officers attempting to arrest Jabari Mathis in May 2015 for a murder in southwest Atlanta, when officials say Williams allowed the suspect to escape out a window of a home and leave the scene.
Mathis was wanted in connection with the April 2015 slaying of 50-year-old Gary Allen Mincy, who was found shot to death inside his vehicle in the 1100 block of Joseph E. Boone Boulevard.
Williams was instructed to monitor one of the windows, but instead let Mathis escape. Officers caught Mathis a short time later and took him to jail on murder, assault and attempted robbery charges.
Mathis later told officers he knew Williams and that he just let him go and “ran right past him.”
Williams later resigned from his position. He had been with the Atlanta Police Department since October 2012. He faces obstruction, hindering apprehension of a criminal and violation of oath charges.
WINDER, Ga. — A 9-year-old boy has passed away after being shot inside of a Winder home, Barrow County authorities have confirmed.
The boy was found with gunshot wounds inside of a home on Avalon Court around 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday. He was airlifted to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston, but later succumbed to his injuries, according to Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith.
The boy’s name has not been released. On Wednesday, officials said the investigation into the circumstances behind the shooting was underway.
Smith said investigators are trying to determine if teh shooting was accidental or intentional.
ATLANTA — DeKalb County Police released a sketch of suspect in a violent rape.
According to police, an unidentified man pulled a gun on a woman, 27, in the parking lot of the Atlas LaVista Hills apartments on Parklake Drive. He is then accused of forcing his way into her car, driving it to a nearby parking lot where he sexually assaulted her.
The incident reportedly happened Sunday March 6.
Anyone with information about the suspect or the rape is encouraged to contact DeKlab County Police Department at (770) 724-7519.
A veteran Bartow County sheriff’s deputy retired Monday, one day after she was arrested on a DUI charge, the sheriff’s office said Tuesday.
Brandy Kottemann, who had worked for the sheriff’s office since 1992, was arrested Sunday by Cartersville police on charges that include DUI and failing to maintain her lane.
The deputy’s arrest came after Bartow dispatch issued a lookout about 8:23 p.m. for a possible drunk driver leaving the Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse on East Church Street, according to a Cartersville police report.